From Saturday, March 21 through April 25, 2020 the Windsor Art Center will host the art quilt exhibition, Local Color 4: Rails, Roads & Rivers. A juried show, artists in the Connecticut region of Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) have submitted these quilts for display and judging. They reveal a broad range of metaphors evoked by this year’s theme of human-built and nature-carved modes of movement and transportation and the people who build and/or use them.
Participating artists have explored the theme’s variety of meanings, images and experiences and have interpreted the theme in their own unique way. In their quilts, they employ metaphors denoting connection, journey, coming and going, liquid vs solid, trips, and travels and more.
The juror for this exhibition is Martha Wolfe, an award-winning fiber artist and printmaker living in Northern California. In addition to creating art quilts, she exhibits and teaches workshops, offers lectures and leads a textile tour to Japan in conjunction with the Tokyo Quilt Festival. Her work has been published in numerous magazines and books and is held in public and private collections. She is the founding member and curator of the international collaborative group, Viewpoints 9, consisting of 9 artists who share a guided creative journey and exhibit together throughout the world. Martha currently serves on the International Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) Board of Directors.
The exhibition will run from March 21 through April 25, 2020
Events & Workshops:
- FREE public opening reception and meet the artists: Saturday, March 21, 2020, 5–7pm.
- Dramatic Performance: “Who Will Sing for Lena” A Powerful one-woman by Jessica Washington and directed/produced by Sal Jones. Cost $20 door; $15 for WAC members. Tickets available at: windsorartcenter.org.
Thursday • April 17th, 7pm
Saturday • April 18th, 2pm & 7pm
- Film Friday: An American romantic film with Clint Eastwood in a story of love and crossroads.
Enjoy an old fashion movie night with popcorn and pizza! Friday April 3rd 6-8:00pm, FREE.
- Adult Workshop: The Felted Landscape Taught by Diane Cadrain, Saturday, March 28, 11:00-4:00 pm, $100 plus $20 material fee
- Artist Talk/Panel discussion: Saturday ????, from 2:00-3:30, FREE
- WACKY Comedy Nights: A night of laughs from stand-up comedians. Comedy begins at 7:15pm. Wine, beer, & light refreshments provided. $5 suggested donation.
Thursday • April 9th, 7:15pm
Thursday • May 14th, 7:15pm